Saturday, February 27, 2016

SPRING BREAK

                    Spring Break for me does not suggest the beach,
                    But rather just a week I will not teach
                    And have more time to ponder and to write,

                    An introvert's idea of delight.

                    My students have excursions long since planned,
                    Some even wafting to a foreign land,
                    But I would rather read and write and sit
                    Composing sonorous lines both meet and fit.

                    “I’ve travelled far in Concord,” Thoreau said
                    To Emerson who thought he should instead    
                    Be sailing out to far-off foreign lands,    
                    The way that one’s provincial mind expands.

                         Yet close inspection of a narrow plot
                         Can be revealing of an awesome lot.









*