Friday, April 8, 2016


CARNIVORE

                   This eating animals is what we do
                   Because that’s always what we have been fed
                   Right off the bone or in a savory stew,
                   Not thinking of the life that now is dead.

                  I write this with my dog tucked by my side
                  Who is as much a carnivore as I,
                  But moral strictures cannot be applied
                  To her who thinks just when and how, not why.

                  If animals are destined to be food,
                  We humans at the least must be humane
                  In attitude and practices pursued
                  By minimizing anguish, fear and pain.

                       And yet, there’s something in me seems to wilt
                       Considering all of this.  The cause is guilt.









*