Monday, October 31, 2016


COMPOSURE

                      I’ve grown especially meticulous
                      With all my varied daily regimens
                      And wonder if it’s not ridiculous
                      And whither such compelled behavior tends.

                      But then I think that’s simply how I cope
                      With all the copious choices life presents,
                      And regimented modes are my best hope
                      For making out of daily chaos sense.

                     So that is why I use this patterned mode
                     Of poetry instead of verse that’s free:
                     To fashion well a sonnet or an ode
                     Is captivating more than liberty.

                         For life is best when carefully composed,
                         Just as a sonnet is when neatly closed.